Position Title: Menlo Kids Director
Department: Children’s Ministries-General / San Mateo
Supervisor: Campus Pastor, San Mateo
Direct Reports: MK Coordinator
Classification: Regular / Full time / Exempt
Date of Submission or Revision: 05.15.23
Date of Approval: 5.15.23
The Menlo Kids Director will lead an integrated ministry that partners with parents, volunteers, and the broader church family to successfully launch children (infants through 5th grade) into a lifetime of faith in Jesus Christ. Your priority will be on recruiting, training, shepherding, and developing the adult volunteers who provide hands-on leadership for weekend Kids Ministry and special events. The Director will also provide pastoral support and guidance for parents as they raise children to love and follow Jesus in today’s world. Through our dynamic Kids Ministry, the Menlo Kids Director will have a vital role in welcoming, connecting, and engaging the growing number of young families in the area.
A vibrant and authentic faith in Jesus is essential as you provide spiritual leadership to our volunteers, children, and families. You must be highly relational, organized, and passionate about developing others. As part of a multisite church, the Menlo Kids Director/San Mateo will have a strong collaborative nature. You’ll work closely with a dynamic and experienced San Mateo staff team, report directly to the San Mateo Campus Pastor, and supervise a part-time Menlo Kids Coordinator. In addition, you’ll collaborate with our Central NextGen Team and the Menlo Kids Directors from other campuses.
- Work as a cohesive unit with our San Mateo team, shaping the future of our campus.
- Implement a Menlo Kids strategy that draws families into the church and launches children into a lifetime of faith in Jesus Christ.
- Responsible for gathering high-capacity volunteers and equipping them for ministry in the church. Recognize talents and gifts and mentor and coach through the leadership pipeline. Completing scheduling activities.
- Lead, encourage, and develop volunteers through 1:1 or large group interactions.
- Shepherd, build community, and care for the spiritual health of volunteer teams.
- Proactively reach out to parents and families. Provide support, care, and resources as needed.
- Ensure adequate support for all Kids programs; be able to step into any area of Kids Ministry,
including welcoming families, checking children in, facilitating large or small groups, coaching, or providing creative support with music, design, or tech.
- Be responsible for the safety of all kids by ensuring adult and teen leaders are screened, participate in mandated training, and maintain healthy boundaries in accordance with Menlo’s child safety policies.
- Collaborate with the Central NextGen team and Menlo Kids Directors from other campuses.
- Coordinate with Central Kids and volunteers to ensure all elements and supplies pertaining to the elementary weekend services are prepared and ready ahead of time.
- Work with San Mateo campus staff to support events and services to reach our neighborhood
(including Easter, Christmas Eve, For The Bay projects, and other events).
- If approved for Menlo ministerial licensing, participate in required training.
- Additional duties and special projects as assigned by the San Mateo Campus Pastor.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
- College degree or college coursework
- Experience working with young children in a preschool, elementary school, or ministry setting
- Demonstrated experience recruiting, training, and developing volunteers
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience managing staff
- Experience serving on staff in children’s ministry
- Experience working in a church with multiple locations
- Proficiency working with Planning Center Online (PCO) or other volunteer databases
- Familiarity with Menlo Church
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong theological foundation
- Knowledgeable about children’s ministry best practices
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and effectively delegate
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Enthusiastic and high energy leadership style
- High Emotional Intelligence with positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Team player and team builder with a focus on the vision of the whole church
- Proficiency with common office applications and collaboration tools, including Zoom, Microsoft Office
- Comfortable learning new technology, software, and applications
- Ability to speak effectively before small and large groups
- Stand or sit for prolonged amounts of time
- Walk, bend, twist, and kneel
- Climb up and down stairs
- Finger and hand dexterity to operate computer and office equipment
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, and peripheral vision; and the ability
to adjust focus
- Occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds with or without assistance
- This job typically operates in a professional office or church environment with standard office equipment
such as computers, printers, filing cabinets, and telephones
- Days and hours of work are generally business hours Sunday-Thursday with an occasional Friday,
Saturday, or evenings, as needed
Menlo Church Spiritual Requirements
- Have an growing, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Be committed to serving God and the body of Christ through the local church
- Must have compatible theology in alignment with ECO essential tenets
- Must be pursuing or active in a community of believers who can speak truth into your life
- Must be a committed disciple of Christ and committed to serving God and the body of Christ at Menlo Church in attendance, labs, and life groups.