Incumbent will lead and assist the Kitchen Staff in the planning, preparation and service of daily meals to guests and staff. Delegate food preparation tasks appropriately to Kitchen Support Staff team. Lead and assist the Kitchen Staff in maintaining a clean and safe food service environment. Guides and inspires the Kitchen Support Staff as to the focus and goals of the Mission and its programs.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Oversees the preparation and serving of three nutritious, attractive, cost-effective meals at the Woman's Shelter each day, seven days per week, while maintaining the highest standards of sanitation.
2. Plans weekly and monthly menus and orders appropriate ingredients and supplies first from Bethesda Food Bank or other partner organizations when item is not available at the Bethesda Food Bank.
3. Supervises, orients and evaluates the performance of guests assigned to work in the Woman’s Shelter kitchen.
4. Inspects work areas and maintains the highest standards of sanitation and cleanliness in the production and related areas in accordance to Serve Safe standards.
5. Supervises any paid kitchen employees and volunteers who may be working for the Food Services Department.
6. Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshoots breakdowns; performs preventive and cleaning maintenance; and calls for repairs.
7. Ensures accountability and proper storage of all foodstuffs, kitchen supplies and related equipment at the Woman's Shelter. (This responsibility includes successfully passing all inspections conducted by governmental authorities such as the Department of Agriculture.)
8. Submits monthly Management Information System reports covering all food service operations of the Mission.
9. Attends all staff meetings that are normally scheduled at designated time, and all additional staff meetings as announced. Please note: Staff meetings are mandatory and employee is expected to attend unless absence has been pre-arranged with the Program Director.
10. Assumes other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
1. Provides a biblically sound testimony of having accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and leads a life worthy of that profession. Actively engages in private and corporate prayer, Bible Study, regular church attendance, and holy living.
2. Agrees with and carries out responsibilities in accordance with the Mission’s policies that are included in the Bethesda Mission Directives, the Bethesda Mission Code of Conduct, the Bethesda Mission Statement of Faith, the Bethesda Mission Document on Sexual Sin and Brokenness, Value Statement and Narratives, and the Mission Statement.
3. Committed to serving the poor and homeless.
4. Presents a history of stable and responsible employment.
5. Has three years of experience involving institutional food service operations. (Note: Fast Food is not considered as qualifying.) Requires thorough knowledge of food preparation methods and terminology and knowledge of techniques of cooking essentials and safe food handling practices.
6. Requires ability to participate in or lead devotional times as well as ministering to and praying with co-workers and donors with specific needs.
7. Possesses a high School diploma or GED certificate.
8. Proficient in oral and written English communications.
9. Proficient in the use of a personal computer.
10. Interacts favorably with guests and co-workers and works effectively with others in a positive, cooperative manner.
11. Ability to handle significant levels of stress inherent in working with Mission clients.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Works in kitchen as well as throughout the facility and travels to other Mission facilities as required. Sits, stands, bends, lifts, stoops, squats, twists, reaches and moves intermittently during working hours. Includes working on irregular surfaces, lifting objects over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. Interacts with guests, staff, visitors, etc., under all conditions/circumstances. May be subject to hostile and emotionally upset guests or visitors, etc. under all conditions/circumstances. May be exposed to infectious conditions including exposure to the AIDS and hepatitis B viruses. Required to drive a truck for pick-up and delivery of food/non-food items. May be required to work periods of time at a computer.
Since 1914, Bethesda Mission has been a missionary arm of the local church, reaching out to men, women, and children of all races, nationalities, and creeds, providing the poor and homeless with shelter, food, clothing, sharing the good news of Jesus Christ, and discipling them in the Christian life.
A soft pillow, a warm meal, and peace from life’s storms are what Bethesda offers the men, women, and children who walk through our doors. Our walls offer safety from chaos-filled homes and noisy streets, and our hospitality returns a small portion of the grace we’ve been given to the people we serve. A brightly lit green cross is the trade-mark symbol of our flagship facility at 611 Reily Street in downtown Harrisburg. This city icon defines our driving passion – to introduce others to the power and love of Jesus Christ. Equipping each person with tools for life is the aim of Bethesda’s community re-entry blueprint. From learning to balance a checkbook to finding a Christ centered, nurturing church, these foundational skills help existing guests lead lives of character and great purpose.