We are a contemporary, evangelical, multi-generational church in the seaport city of Newburyport, MA. We are over 200 years old, but in 2001 moved to a brand new location in Newburyport. Our worship attendance averages 500 people between two services on a Sunday. We emphasize worship for seekers to mature Christians in the same setting, with an emphasis on congregational singing of a mix of new contemporary songs (from Matt Redman, Hillsong, Elevation worship, Bethel, Rend Collective, etc.), classic contemporary songs, and traditional and contemporized hymns. Preaching follows the Bible (expository and topical) with strong application to life. Small group structure is critical to our church. More than 50% of attenders are in a community group, many following along with the message series in their groups. We support a vibrant family ministry to children and youth and their parents, with 2 full-time staff equivalents in our family ministry. We emphasize the people of Hope being used by God in their daily life to bless others in Jesus’ name, and also to go and serve in outreach teams in the local area and to reach the world with the good news of Jesus’ love.
Lead Pastor: Pete Balentine, Lead Pastor, has been at Hope since 2006.
Denomination: We are affiliated with the CCCC and ABC denominations, but have staff and attenders coming from many denominations, especially the Catholic church.
About the Position:
We are looking for a creative leader to oversee our worship arts ministry, working alongside our Lead Pastor and others to build a strong worship culture at Hope. As with other department level staff positions, this is primarily an equipping role (Ephesians 4:11-13). Responsibilities include:
1.Visionary Leadership for Worship Arts: Work collaboratively with the Lead Pastor and various team leaders to develop and fulfill the overall vision for worship arts ministry at Hope, enabling the church to accomplish its mission of making disciples to reach the world.
2. Worship Leadership: Plan and program an integrated worship service each week in conjunction with sermon theme and consultation of the Lead Pastor and others involved. Prepare for and conduct weekly rehearsals. Additionally, shepherd, train and guide all band, vocal team members, and other performing artists.
3. Media Team Leadership: Supervise the media team including recruiting, training, and coaching of audio, video and lighting personnel. Develop various videos and stills for use in worship services and engage other volunteers as needed.
4. Recruiting: Be constantly on the lookout, cultivating and praying for God to provide gifted leaders, vocalists, and instrumentalists, as well as audio/video operators, and other creatives to help with weekly worship services, creating and fostering a culture of creativity, and to help with other unique, artistic outreach and events.
5.Sunday Morning Coordination: Oversee worship service production on Sunday mornings, working with various staff and volunteers to ensure responsibilities are covered. This also includes coordinating with our Seasonal Choir, Traditional Christmas Bell choir, and children and youth bands/vocalists.
6. Planning and Meetings: Meet weekly with the Lead Pastor and others to debrief the previous week’s worship services and develop service programming and flow for several weeks/months ahead. Manage annual worship arts and technology budget as well as setup of sanctuary platform and worship space, including audio inputs, and maintenance and upkeep of all church owned musical instruments, audio and video equipment.
7. Worship Arts Outreach: Continually seek-out various ways to employ people from Hope and outside groups into special outreach events using music, theatre, video and drama and to have a positive influence and impact in the local Newburyport area.
8. Other Leadership Duties: With a church of our size, the expectation is that staff will often have a leadership
role in another sphere of the church. For this position, that is most likely leading our Young Adult Ministry, but other opportunities/options are possible as well.
What We Are Searching For / Qualifications:
*Education: Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in music/theology/Bible/worship arts/other
*Minimum of three years directing or significantly contributing to musical leadership at a local church
*Demonstrated gifting in leading worship with an ability to sing and be an accomplished musician.
*Skills in recruiting, team building, planning, training volunteers, and managing multiple details
*Knowledgeable at using technology (or at least the basics of sound systems, projection, lighting, video, etc.).
*Excellent interpersonal skills (oral and written), and a winsome, can–do, collaborative, problem solving spirit.
*Ongoing training is available through 10,000 Fathers Worship School (www.worship.school) or similar.
About the Location
Newburyport, MA is a seaport town on the northern coast of Massachusetts. Its population is roughly 18,000. We are 35 minutes from Boston. Church attendance in our area is about 6% to 10% on a Sunday morning. The area has excellent outdoor amenities as well as cultural opportunities in the area. The public schools in Massachusetts are considered some of the best (if not the best) in the country.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please submit resume, a cover letter, and a link to a video of you leading worship in a corporate setting to email@example.com. It can be a simple smart phone video, but we will not review a resume without a video. We are looking to fill this position by August 15th, 2018