Concord Church Position Description
Job Title: Associate Pastor, Biblical Counseling & Spiritual Development
Reports to: Senior Associate Pastor, Family Life Ministries
Exempt (Ministerial Exemption)
The Associate Pastor of Biblical Counseling & Spiritual Development shepherds members through difficult and profound personal crises that tempt them to question their faith in Jesus. Also, this person would oversee and lead our church's efforts to foster a culture of connection and discipleship between generations, especially in those ways that will help the church as a whole to pass on its faith to the next generation by becoming a cohesive spiritual family of families.
The Associate Pastor of Biblical Counseling & Spiritual Development exhibits the seven Core Values of Concord Church:
- Dedication to Personal Growth – Is intentional about personal development as a man/woman, believer, and a staff member. Ephesians 5:15-21
- Dedication to H.I.T. (Honesty, Integrity and Truthfulness) – Able to confront self and others by being truthful with a spirit of love. Ephesians 4:14-32
- Effective Communication – Communicates using the THINK methodology (is True, Helpful, Inspiring, Necessary and Kind). Psalm 15
- Servant’s Heart – Will possess compassion for others and a kind spirit. Philippians 2:3-16
- Team Spirit – Supports the team by having a strong work ethic, being responsive to deadlines, exhibiting professionalism at all times, actively works to resolve any conflicts that arise, and is flexible whenever necessary. Galatians 6:1-7
- Loyalty – Committed to God’s will, the Executive Pastor’s vision, the church’s mission and vision, follows leadership, and supports the entire team. 1 Peter 2:13-25
- Work hard, Play hard – Carries out job responsibilities with passion and completes the necessary tasks to accomplish the church’s mission and vision. Proverbs 17:22
- Provides formal and informal advice and techniques that help members restore their beliefs and relationship with Jesus.
- Counsels members on how to restore broken promises or commitments to others or the church.
- Solicits feedback from staff, members, and volunteers on training, programs, events, and other matters.
- Nurtures community through relationship building.
- Offers assistance to members who are facing profound personal crises.
- Attends Sunday worship services, weekly staff meetings, and other church events as requested.
- Provides counseling support at the direction of the Senior Pastor for special assignments and in special circumstances that require pastoral counseling.
- Coordinates and facilitates learning opportunities to address specific needs of the congregation by providing group discussions, workshops, and seminars to address topics that are trending in the counseling room.
- Provides spiritual guidance and instruction to prepare couples for marriage and to assist couples in maintaining a healthy marriage relationship.
- Provides spiritual guidance and instruction to assist families with overcoming challenges in their family relationships as well as biblical instruction on how to resolve conflict.
- Develop a volunteer and staff team implement our Couples Ministry plan
- Develop and lead programmatic opportunities and other resources to enhance Marriage and Family Ministries at Concord
- Initiate, develop, and resource partnerships with ministries beyond Concord to strengthen marriages and families in our community and region
- Develop curriculum, online resources, classes and experiences–in collaboration with our Children’s Ministries-to equip families to take on the primary role in the discipleship of their homes
- Create programmatic pathways that will engage families at each stage or developmental milestone in order to celebrate faith milestones, set family priorities, and nurture connections with the church community
- Organize family retreats and/or events that will lead families into new discipleship experiences
- Attends and successfully completes all training required by Concord Church.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position supervises both the Couples Ministry as well as an Administrative Assistant.
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Theology, Christian Education, or Counseling from an accredited college or university. A Masters’ degree in biblical studies or divinity is preferred but not required.
This position requires a minimum of 3 years of experience as an ordained minister/pastor in a setting committed to reaching the unchurched and developing leaders. A minimum of 3 years of experience equipping Christ-followers to grow in maturity in their faith and fostering growth in community through individual and group discussions is required. Strong programmatic leadership skills for recruiting, supporting, and building teams of ministry volunteers. A clear passion for the spiritual health of marriages and families. Gifts for teaching, leadership, and discipleship. An awareness of the spiritual, social, and relational struggles facing couples and families today
An employee in this position primarily works in a typical office or sanctuary environment, is generally sedentary, and uses computers, calculators, phones, and other office equipment to draft documents, communicate with church staff, and fulfill other position duties. An employee in this position is required to walk, hear, speak, and stand to conduct sermons and minister to the members (both at the main church and at remote locations). Work is conducted in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment. The ability to manage stress, build professional and collaborative relationships, and reason through both complex church business situations and profound personal crises that members may experience is required. A flexible schedule is required since this position requires evening and weekend work.
This position is required to conduct services, visit church members, perform community outreach, and attend meetings away from the primary church location. A valid Texas drivers’ license and acceptable motor vehicle record is required.
Concord Church Membership
This position is required to be a member of Concord Church. Employees in this position are expected to sincerely hold the same religious beliefs as expressed by Concord Church.