Mulberry Baptist Church is a contemporary, largely younger congregation, Southern Baptist church with a five-member staff (Lead Pastor, part-time Administrator, Children’s Director, Preschool Director, and Student Interim Pastor). We follow the simple Kingdom model Jesus gave the church: Grow, Go, Grow. Grow those within the church so they can go and share the gospel with those outside the church, and then grow those who respond.
We are looking for a full-time candidate who shares this vision and can implement it within the areas of Student Ministry and Worship. Even though this position encompasses the overall church education, the primary focus will be on the Student Ministry (15 students on Sunday; 35 on Wednesday) and leading worship with the praise band for the Sunday am service. We are looking for someone who is fun, relational, relates well to youth, a discipler, a self-starter, incorporates regular outreaches into ministry, theologically conservative, has a strong presence on stage and is a talented singer. This will be a full-time position with a compensation package up to $63,500.
Houma and Terrebonne Parish (a parish is what other states refer to as a county) offer an experience blended with rich history, breathtaking landscape, and a flourishing culture that contributes to the distinctive fabric of Louisiana. From world-class fishing, birding and hunting, to swamp tours, museums, festivals, Antebellum homes and numerous plantations, world loved Cajun culture, excellent department store shopping, family-oriented community, two renowned hospitals, and excellent schools (Nicholls State University is only a 20-minute drive along with numerous colleges within 60 miles).
Houma promises every resident will experience the flavor, spirit and wild nature that inhabit Louisiana’s wetlands. The wetlands and its denizens are immeasurable. It is a distinctive way of life, home to a blend of cultures and traditions, where diversity is a strength. It is a place where the land, its people, and its culture connect. These are just a few of the reasons why Houma was voted “The 2nd Happiest Place to Live in the USA” by a national study* done in 2014.
The Houma city limits has a population of 34,000, but when the surrounding area is included, it’s closer to 100,000. It is just under an hour to New Orleans, which is one of the more unique cities in the USA, having many points of interest: jazz festivals, zoo, food, architecture, swamp tours, French Quarter, French Market, museums, aquarium, international airport (with inexpensive flights), and so much more. The draw of authentic Cajun culture, diverse environment and wildlife, historical sites, excellent food and proximity to New Orleans and Lafayette make Houma a central location for any resident who wishes to experience the culture of South Louisiana.
For additional information, visit www.houmatravel.com and see the following video which features Eric Danos, one of our member: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Q9oYPx5ILmU
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
• On-going, thriving love relationship with Christ and His church
• Values love, family, relationships, integrity, purity, generosity, and humility (1 Timothy 3, Titus 1)
• Able to give and receive constructive insights. The entire staff operates like a team and shares insights with each other on how they can improve themselves or ministry areas
• Able to have fun, joke around, and minister at the same time
• Holds to the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message
• Must demonstrate a call to vocational ministry with an interest in students and worship, as demonstrated by 4+ years of experience in a full-time staff ministry position (required)
• Minimum of an undergraduate degree in a ministry related field, obtained from an accredited bible college or seminary. Completion of a master’s degree is preferred.
• Loves to hang-out, talk to, and disciple youth
• Captivating and challenging on stage; personable and approachable off stage
• Leads with an emphasis on creativity, innovation, excellence, fun, and discipleship
• Looks for opportunities to train & empower others to help within the student ministry
• Monthly events (coordinate one event per month)
o Fun fellowship events for the youth
o Outreach or ministry events to engage students to engage students in serving
o Discipleship-oriented events, such as youth rallies, Christian movies, etc.
• Quarterly events (or as necessary)
o Youth committee meetings
o Youth parent meetings
o Youth/Worship related article for newsletter
• Annual Events (as necessary)
o Fall retreat – weekend with guest speaker
o Christmas Party
o Disciple Now – weekend worship, Bible studies, games
o Fundraising events such as Spaghetti Dinner, Cake Auction, etc.
o Summer Youth Camp
o Mission Trip
• Coordinate and lead a creative, contemporary worship service (Sunday am)
• Work with technicians to coordinate music lyrics, video elements, lighting, etc.
• Build, lead, shepherd, and rehearse with the vocalists, musicians, and audio/visual team
• Maintain and purchase needed equipment
• Oversee the stage and backdrops
• Oversee, train, and recruit for Adult Sunday morning Bible studies
• Attend weekly staff meetings
• Assist Pastor as other responsibilities arise
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume (references not necessary at this point), at least one video leading worship and one leading a Bible study (or preaching), and other supporting materials to mbcposition
gmail.com. If you have additional videos, that would be helpful and eventually needed if you are selected as a potential candidate.
For additional information, see www.mulberrychurch.org, call Angel at 985-876-3204, or see an updated job description here: www.mulberrychurch.org/employment-opportunities/.
As pastor, I will primarily be the one calling your references, so I realize the importance of keeping this process private and confidential. Thus, I will only ask for and call references once we decide to pursue you as a candidate.
*https://mic.com/articles/9 4568/the-5-happiest-cities-in-america-ar e-in-the-state-you-d-least-expect