Christian Education Director
(EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 2017)
First Congregational United Church of Christ, Salem, Oregon
We are a Just, Peace, Open and Affirming Congregation of the UCC. This church welcomes everyone without regard to race, gender, age, sexual orientation, ethnicity, economic class, marital status or physical/mental abilities and encourages all to share in the life and leadership of the congregation.
Title: Christian Education Director
Salary: $32,500 ($25/hour, 25 hours per week)
The Christian Education Director works in partnership with the Pastor, Christian Education Committee and Congregation to provide coordination and support for all Christian Education activities for infants/toddlers, children and youth. Responsibilities include oversight, supervision, teaching, coordination, staffing and curriculum development for the following activities: (1) Learning Hour during Sunday worship service for infants/toddlers/preschoolers and Kindergarten age children in the Nursery; (2) Learning Hour during Sunday worship service for first through eighth grade children in classrooms; (3) Youth Group for middle and high school children including meetings/activities and overall planning for youth events throughout the year (meetings, mission trips, service projects, fund raising); and (4) Child Care Coordination for church-wide events. The Christian Education Director is expected to be a visible and regular participant in the life of the congregation and participates as a member of the Ministry Team and Worship Planning Team.
The Pastor leads, mentors and supports the Ministry Team. The Ministry Team is made up of all church staff. The Ministry Team is charged with serving and problem-solving together to ensure the ministry of the church works smoothly and creates a welcoming and safe place for all people. Staff members often serve as the first point of contact for church and community members. All staff members are expected to demonstrate hospitality by offering an authentic welcome and assistance whenever and wherever needed. This may include assisting people in crisis and directing them to appropriate pastoral staff. Staff members attend Ministry Team meetings as requested by the Pastor and are expected to demonstrate discretion and maintain confidentiality related to sensitive church business.
Worship Planning Team
The Worship Planning Team is led by the Pastor and is charged with developing an annual plan for worship that includes selection of the worship theme and message, selection of music and hymns, and the program for the Children’s Time. Team members includes the Pastor, Music Director, Christian Education Director, Organist and a representative of Deacons.
- Demonstrates values of love, kindness, honesty, hospitality and fairness
- Demonstrates a positive and friendly attitude with compassion and caring for all people
- Demonstrates sensitivity and support for children, teens and adults with special needs
- Bachelor’s degree with course work in education, psychology, social work, religion or related field and three years’ experience in providing direct services to children and youth. Additional qualifying experience may substitute for education requirement on a year-for-year basis to a maximum of two years
- A Christian with a strong, demonstrated commitment to progressive and inclusive Christian faith and practice embracing the church’s commitment statement
- Demonstrates openness to sharing personal faith and faith story, and encourages spiritual development of others
- Experience in a leadership role with demonstrated planning, organizing and problem-solving skills; Christian Education leadership preferred
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn the UCC history, polity and resources
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn the Bible and contemporary scholarship
- Experience and demonstrated skills in teaching, guiding and/or counseling of children and youth.
- Strong interpersonal skills demonstrating a genuine concern for people and capacity to relate with all people in a sensitive, respectful way; highly energetic, enthusiastic and creative.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively communicating with others, verbally and in writing, including computer skills and use of email.
- Ability to use and stay current with any and all social media needed to connect and communicate with children, youth and college age persons
- Ability to present and promote the UCC Christian Education program
- Ability to support, guide and relate well with volunteer teachers, youth leaders and parents
- Ability to support, teach and relate well with children and youth demonstrating a genuine interest in their education, growth and development
- Demonstrated understanding of the growth and development of children, youth and adults
- Ability to be an effective and contributing member of the Ministry Team and Worship Planning Team.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities in Partnership with the Pastor and Christian Education Committee
- Choose curriculum and design, implement, and evaluate Christian education programs for children and youth
- Coordinate, maintain and order supplies, resources, equipment, curriculum materials and snack supplies for the Christian education program including the Nursery
- Identify needed child care aides, teachers, youth leaders and secure volunteers
- Provide oversight to ensure compliance with the Safe Church policy including provision of training
- Recruit, train, resource and support volunteer teachers, youth leaders and lay leaders working with children and youth including adult chaperones, drivers, etc.
- Provide outreach to families; welcoming and connecting new families
- Engage in hands-on ministry with children, youth and families
- Work with the Music Director to support children and youth in music participation
- Support the church’s efforts to help families find an inviting and appropriate place in the congregational community
- Attend Council, Christian Education Committee meetings and other meetings as needed/requested
- Strive for the unity of the church by acting as an agent of reconciliation for any conflicts that might arise
- Participate as a member of the Ministry Team and Worship Planning Team
- Provide special programming as needed/identified (Christmas Pageant; Vacation Bible Camp; Advent Fest; Harvest Fest)