Director of Youth and Christian Education Ministries
Posted by: Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd
Posted date: 2017-Feb-13
Location: Bel Air, MD
The Director of Youth and Christian Education Ministries is a committed Christian, familiar with Lutheran teachings and practices, being called by God and equipped with a passion to reach today’s youth and guide them to a deeper relationship with Christ. The Director of Youth and Christian Education Ministries will work under the direction of the Senior Pastor and in conjunction with Congregation Council to provide leadership, mentoring, and to design and implement programs and Christian Education for youth and young adults which are aligned with LCGS’s vision and mission.
Provide leadership, development and implementation for the following ministries with the ability to provide differentiation in programming to meet the needs of all participants: Youth Christian Education (Sunday School, Confirmation, VBS); Youth Groups for elementary, middle school, and high school; Young Adult Ministry; and a German American Exchange program with our sister congregation in Spenge, Germany.
Facilitate connections between youth members; guide growth in their spiritual journey through Christian service, Christian education and participation in meaningful worship; and develop them into leaders in the congregation and synod.
- Work with the youth leadership team to plan and lead groups for youth and Young adults.
- Plan regularly scheduled events and gatherings, service projects, Bible study and fellowship activities.
- Accompany youth to retreats, conferences and other youth activities/events.
- Recruit and oversee adult chaperones maintaining compliance with LCGS Child Protection Policy.
- Oversee Youth and Young Adult Christian Education Programs (i.e. Sunday School, Confirmation and Vacation Bible School).
- Teach Confirmation and/or Sunday School as needed.
- Investigate and purchase curriculum and materials, set the Sunday School calendar, recruit and train volunteers, communicate with families and students, and monitor the programs, adjusting as needed.
Greater Church Community:
- Effectively communicate with pastor, staff, participants, youth, parents and congregation through various communication avenues.
- Build relationships with youth and their families.
- Maintain a visible presence within the congregation on Sunday mornings - in worship and in education programs.
- Collaborate with Pastor, staff, and council to integrate youth activities with other ministries.
- Provide monthly reports of activities and accomplishments to Council and meet as needed.
- Provide year-end summary of activities and accomplishments for Annual Congregational Report
- Maintain records and information as needed
- Coordinate with Treasurer, Senior Pastor and Youth Ministry Team Council Member to create budget for various Youth Ministry groups
- Manage the disbursement of budgeted funds for various Youth Ministry groups
- Procure supplies and materials
- Communicate and enforce church policies and expectations to adults and youth.
- Handle registration for all programs and activities.
- Meet weekly with Senior Pastor for supervision and coordination. Attend weekly staff meeting.
- Prepare information/publicity for events, utilizing the Communications Ministry Team as needed.
- Write article promoting Youth and Christian Education for monthly churchwide newsletter.
- Primary Administrator for “Youth of LCGS” Facebook page and other social media sites.
This is a part-time, 25 hours per week position with flexible hours to include Sunday and some evenings and weekends.
This is an exempt position with a minimum salary of $25,000 or commensurate with experience. Holidays and Paid Time Off are also offered.
- Bachelor's Degree, or equivalent experience, in education, youth ministry, religion or a related field
- Minimum of 3 years working with youth in some capacity
- Must be at least 25 years of age
- Pass a criminal background check
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Energetic, flexible and enthusiastic