Children's Minister Job Description
Purpose: To help children from birth through 5th grade grow in their relationship with God through activities, mission opportunities, play, learning Bible skills, and the strengthening of their nuclear families. This requires, in particular, great administrative leadership and support for servant leaders (volunteers).
- Coordinate all logistical needs, including staffing, for Elementary Sunday School (CLUB 252 Basics); Pre-K Sunday School (First Look); Children’s Contemporary Worship (WOW Worship); Elementary Wednesday nights (KidsLIFE); and Pre-K Wednesday nights (JAM Camp).
- Prepare weekly lessons for Sunday and Wednesday programs, including gathering of materials and forwarding of lesson plans to teachers in advance
- Lead WOW Worship large group in music and prayer time.
- Prepare and deliver weekly children’s sermon at both Sunday morning services.
- Train and work with children on serving as acolytes for traditional worship each week.
- always adhere to Safe Sanctuary policy
- lead seasonal events like: Vacation Bible School, monthly Family Movie Nights, Easter Eggstravaganza, Jingle Jam, and Christmas Eve children’s pageant.
- Coordinate presentation of 2nd grade Bibles (annually)
-Welcome visitor families and follow up with them via mail, telephone, or email. -Send out birthday cards to children.
- Work with school district to obtain approval for distribution of marketing flyers for outreach events.
- conduct Safe Sanctuary training
- Maintain and empower the Children's Council to calendar, plan, advise, recruit for children's ministry elements and empower parents to participate in the spiritual nurture of their children
- Create a ministry calendar per semester, distribute to parents
- Maintain regular communication through texting, emails, newsletter, and website
With Servant Leaders
- Recruit early and offer training for volunteers
-Arrange occasional appreciation events
- Provide curriculum and activity resources for volunteers
As Church Staff
- Be present for weekly staff meetings
- Arrange monthly one-on-one meetings with pastor
- Attend monthly leadership council meetings
- Hire and train all nursery staff
- Set the vision, expectations, and practices for the church nursery in coordination with the Nursery Coordinator
- Oversee curriculum
- Set toy cleaning, inventory, and purchasing schedules
Asbury United Methodist Church
CHILDREN'S DIRECTOR APPLICATION
Please complete and mail or email back to Asbury United Methodist Church.
Attention: Pastor Lindsay Kirkpatrick at 5354 Space Center Blvd. Pasadena, TX 77505 or pastorlindsayasbury.cc
Name: ______________________________________________Cell Phone Number: ________________
Home Address:________________________________ ________________________________________ School Address: _______________________________________________________________ _________ Age: _____ Years in College: _____ Major: __________________________________________________ Email Address: ___________________________________________ _____________________________ Church Affiliation/Membership: __________________________________________________________
Please attach answers to the following questions:
~ What are three gifts you bring to children's ministry?
~ What experience do you have working with infants, preschoolers, and? And how have those experiences shaped your call to serve?
~ What are your primary reasons for seeking to serve as a children's director? And what outcome or goals do you hope to achieve?
~ What extra activities are you involved in and how would those shape your ministry at Asbury?
~ What personal strengths would you bring to our ministry and what areas of growth do you hope to build upon?
~ What do you see as the way God is calling you in life?
~ Describe your relationship with God and Jesus Christ and how this position works with your overall Christian journey.
Name:_________________________ Phone:_________________ Association:___________________ Email:______________________________________________________ _______________________
Name:______ ___________________ Phone:_________________ Association:___________________ Email:______________________________________ ______________________________________