The Area Director serves as the strategic leader, mentor and role model for support of the mission of Joni and Friends. The responsibilities of the Area Director include overall management of operations, qualified staff, quality and appropriateness of services, fundraising efforts.
The Area Director’s objectives, with estimated time allotments:
· Financial Stewardship and Development 60%
· Staff Management and Development 20%
· Program Oversight and Development 20%
· Establish an annual and long-range strategy that ensures financial success, timely progress and consistent achievement of the overall mission.
· Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Ministry Development Team and staff, and carry out plans in partnership with them.
· Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of work.
· Provide leadership for international outreach strategy and implementation, when necessary.
In communications, the Area Director will:
· Keep staff and volunteer teams informed on financial and ministry status.
· Retain consistent contact with donors. Use and update the contact report weekly.
· Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
· Represent the vision, mission and programs to churches and in the community.
In budget and finance, the Director will
· Ensure that adequate funds are raised and are available to carry out its work.
· Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
· Work with the staff in preparing a budget.
· Work with the Ministry Development team to increase funding.
In relations with the staff, the Area Director will:
· Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers, in conjunction with Field Services and Human Resources.
· Ensure that job descriptions are individualized, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that Joni and Friends Human Resource practices are followed.
· Encourage staff and volunteer development and education, and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
· Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff and volunteers of top quality people.
As a ministry, Joni and Friends strives to exemplify Jesus Christ and bring Glory to God in all we say and do. To that end, employment at Joni and Friends is to be taken seriously as one who is not simply considering employment, but committing to the core mission of the organization to fulfill the biblical mandate of inclusion of those with disabilities into the full-life of the church. All employees of Joni and Friends participate in its ministry wide prayer life, leadership training and other general staff training that may take place from time to time.
Below outlines the vision, mission, values and pillars of Joni and Friends:
VISION: “To accelerate Christian ministry in the disability community.”
MISSION: “To communicate the Gospel and equip Christ-churches worldwide to evangelize and disciple people affected by disabilities.”
1. Honor God in everything we do.
2. Build relationships based on trust and respect.
3. Maintain integrity and excellence in programs and services.
4. Practice responsible stewardship.
FOUR PILLARS OF MINISTRY:
Lead Like Jesus*
Excellence in area of expertise
Best Christian Workplace
* Lead Like Jesus is a course of study provided to all employees and is based on the book written by Ken Blanchard and Phil Hodges of the same name. The Lead Like Jesus course is the model which governs our ministry culture and contributes significantly to Joni and Friends maintaining its certification as a “Best Christian Workplace” according to surveys by the Best Christian Workplace Institute (BCWI).