Awana is a global, nonprofit ministry committed to the belief that the greatest impact for Christ starts with kids who know, love and serve Him. The transformative power of the gospel is shared every week through Awana ministries that reach more than three and a half million kids in more than 115 countries. Providing resources and expertise, Awana empowers more than 45,000 churches and mobilizes more than 450,000 leaders to reach kids through evangelism and long-term discipleship.
OVERALL PURPOSE/FUNCTION: The Software Manager oversees the developers and provides technical leadership through intuitive high level decisions for software development that both create and maintain excellent software architecture, and that collaborates with and develops the team in augmenting and protecting our architecture.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Manages, guides, and leads the Awana developers at a standard reflective of Awana’s heart for mission and customer satisfaction.
2. Exercises independent judgment and discretion in development deliverables by prioritizing, planning, and tracking progress.
3. Manages and directs a team of direct reports as assigned, and seeks to build and improve each person’s strengths and skills. Evaluates employee performance, sets expectations and goals for department and individual staff members, recruits, disciplines and trains staff. Meets regularly with supervised staff to review status of assigned tasks, solve problems, and discuss progress towards the achievement of team and department goals
4. Owns and drives team delivery and productivity, including working to remove blocks/impediments, and continuously looks for opportunities to increase productivity and foster an environment of consistency and adherence to commitment
5. Provides technical leadership for the developers, including architectural/technical solutions, code review, scoping/estimation of proposed projects, training and development of the team, and management of code releases.
6. Owns (either directly or through delegation) release management across the higher environments, and communication of release notes
7. Develop high-level product specifications with attention to system integration and feasibility
8. Define all aspects of development from appropriate technology and workflow to coding standards, and enforces adherence to the same
9. Oversee progress of development team to ensure consistency with initial design
10. Provide technical guidance and coaching to developers and engineers
11. Ensure software meets all requirements of quality, security, modifiability, extensibility etc.
12. As needed, personally writes and develops code for development tasks and tickets
13. Acts as the subject matter expert on the intersection of culture and technology for Awana. Provides thought leadership and direction in the area of using technology as an outreach tool.
14. Maintains current technical expertise in the rapidly changing software industry and utilizes state of the art techniques when implementing solutions.
15. Positions the Technology department as a ministry thought leader and reliable internal partner.
16. Actively responds to communications from customers and constituents.
17. Participates in team and departmental meetings, periodic reviews of other team members’ work, team brainstorming and professional development sessions and annual individual goal setting process.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree preferred (preferably in computer science, business administration or related field)
Proven experience as software architect and/or manager, or a minimum of 5 years of strong experience in software development (enterprise environment a huge plus)
Excellent knowledge of software and application design and architecture
Understanding of software quality assurance principles
A technical mindset with great attention to detail
High quality organizational and leadership skills
Outstanding communication and presentation abilities
Basic understanding of databasing necessary
Must be able to understand, and clearly relate to other members of the organization, technical manuals, software specifications, and software documentation
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
Ability to read and speak English is required. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret various business and technical documents. Effective communication skills and strong time management skills. Project management skills a huge plus.
Excellent problem solving skills and logical thinking required for many programming tasks. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to make decisions within the scope of authority, and to make quick decisions in emergency situations.
Other Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Must have experience working on large scale Technology projects and development teams of at least 3-5 people. Good communication and interpersonal skills. Team orientation and ability to multi-task, shift gears quickly, work independently and collaboratively. Ability to meet deadlines while paying attention to details. Delegation is a key skill for this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and to kneel, crawl, stoop, or lie down to work with cabling in tight spaces. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Must be willing to travel on occasion if needed
Internal: Reports to the Director of Process & Delivery. Developers report to this position. Frequent interaction with other members of the Technology department (especially BA, QA, and IT). Regular interaction with Product Owners, Stakeholders, and other internal customers.
External: Vendor engagement and potential for vendor management; otherwise, as needed.
This job description reflects the current assignment of essential functions, and is not meant to be all-inclusive. Duties and responsibilities may be assigned or reassigned to this job at any time, and may be modified to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability, or for other reasons.