Are you both a visionary and pragmatic person who is able to focus on technology systems and solutions that increase effectiveness and impact? Can you provide innovative vision, strategy, and leadership in all areas of technology use, planning, development, and support?
Are you able to collaborate directly across all departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost‑effective technology solutions for all aspects of an organization? With your team, can you set the direction that drives continuous improvement of technology policies, standards, and procedures?
If this is you, be part of the team that works to make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth!
The Director of Technology and Business Solutions reports to the Vice President of Strategic Information and Integration.
- This is a full-time, volunteer (non-paid) or staff that raises their own support position
- Must be a U.S. citizen or green card holder to apply
Provide strategic and operational leadership to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology for JAARS that leads to greater effectiveness and impact.
- Provide overall strategic and operational leadership of information management and technology, including planning, development, evaluation, and coordination of all related initiatives
- Lead the creation of a detailed technology roadmap identifying investment costs and a 3-year implementation plan
- Lead business process mapping to identify the ministry drivers for the selection of technology solutions
- Coordinate with departments and teams to develop ministry cases for new projects
- Define and adjust technology standards and technologies in close collaboration with leadership
- Ensure that innovations in information systems and technologies meet JAARS needs
Policy and Procedures
- Lead the development and maintenance of information and technology policies, procedures, and standards
- Oversee the development and implementation of local IT policies and standards
- Regularly benchmark against for-profit and nonprofit standards
- Develop and administer the Technology and Business Solutions budget ensuring effective stewardship of resources
- Oversee information management and technology operations supporting JAARS staff locally and globally
- Lead the identification, selection, procurement, and implementation of new software and hardware
- Oversee the selection and management of IT service providers optimizing the mix of in‑house and outsourced services
- Develop and implement a technology risk management plan
- Implement and maintain an IT security strategy that keeps pace with technology changes and ensures the organization’s information and systems are secure
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance of a disaster recovery plan
- Provide leadership to Technology and Business Solutions staff
- Develop staff skills and capacities to strengthen understanding of best practices in technology and stay current with industry trends
- Build organizational technology talent by creating a learning environment in cooperation and coordination with the Learning and Development team, that ensures all staff have the training and skills needed to utilize available technology to meet their business needs
Aptitudes and Gifting
- Demonstrate a deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS, and help us live them effectively
- Able to create and execute a vision, motivating others to adopt strategies in collectively moving JAARS forward
- An innovative and creative thinker that tries new things and inspires others to do so
- Have good business understanding, with the ability to leverage technology to solve business and technical issues
- Strong speaking and writing skills, with the ability to prepare briefings and present technical information to technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills and able to work with a variety of JAARS departments and teams
- Have a strong bias toward completing tasks and achieving goals
- Able to manage multiple, concurrent projects, with a track record of completing projects on time and on budget
- Affect change and meet business goals, monitor progress, and take corrective action, when necessary
- Well organized and detail oriented
- A self-starter, able to work independently and capable of managing multiple responsibilities
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in information technology management, including at least five years in a strategic leadership role
- Bachelor’s degree in IT or related field
- Experienced in developing a strategic IT vision, incorporating strong understanding of emerging technologies, and a good sense of the value delivered by competing choices
- Experienced in emerging technologies including cloud-based and mobile systems that could be implemented at JAARS
- Skilled in leading projects from concept through implementation and support
- Proficient in the preparation and review of budgets for business plans
JAARS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Christian ministry located on a beautiful 500+ acre campus south of Charlotte, NC.
We have a variety of campus operations, housed in 20 buildings, with more than 500 JAARS and partner organization staff serving. We partner closely with SIL International, the organizations of the Wycliffe Global Alliance and with other organizations locally and globally.
JAARS vision is that people’s lives and communities are transformed as they experience God’s Word in their own language.
JAARS mission is to make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth. We do that by enabling locally appropriate and sustainable solutions in transportation, technology, media, and training.
JAARS Core Values
Together in Christ, we commit to:
- Seek God Above All
- Serve in Love
- Act with Integrity
- Steward God’s Resources with Courage
- Pursue Excellence
- Collaborate with Respect
- Create a Culture of Innovation