The Development Officer must meet qualifications in three critical areas: Educational Mastery, Organizational Experience, and Ministry Life. The successful candidate will have a working knowledge and a successful track record in non-profit fundraising. However, candidates with experience in sales or marketing with a record of success will be considered.
Educational: Candidate must possess a Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of 1-3 years non-profit experience or Sales or Marketing experience. All new Joni and Friends Development Officers will attend and be trained at the Joni and Friends Development Academy. This is a week-long training held at the Joni and Friends International Disability Center in Agoura Hills, California.
Management: Joni and Friends has a culture of integration; therefore, development planning and implementation must integrate the Area ministry office and the larger Joni and Friends organizational development plan. Candidate must possess excellent human relations skills; strong organizational ability; goal oriented and self-motivated. Experience managing staff and/or volunteers a must.
Communication: Strong oral and written communication skills are important. In addition, candidate must have strong presentation skills and experience.
Fundraising: Working with the Area Ministry Executive Director and the Development Academy Manager, the Development Officer will spearhead all aspects of the development plan for the Area Ministry office. The Development Officer will be responsible for developing and implementing fundraising plans that initiate, develop and maintain long term donor relationships that lead to the fulfillment of specific and well articulated fundraising objectives. Average budget need $500,000+. Experience with Raiser's Edge system a plus.
Duties: Specific duties include but are not limited to the following (other assignments and responsibilities may apply as directed):
- Develop and execute Joni and Friends Area Ministry Office annual fundraising plan.
- Direct and manage the identification, cultivation and solicitation of donors and donor prospects.
- Develop, direct and implement projects to strengthen long-term major donor relationships.
- Build personal relationships with donors and donor prospects.
- Fundraising events and individual donor meetings.
- Keep accurate and up to date donor records on Joni and Friends CRM data system. (Blackbaud, Raiser's Edge)
- Prompt gift acknowledgement and appropriate recognition.
- Communicate clearly in writing and verbally specific fund-raising needs, projects and programs to donors.
- Prepare measurable analytics and outcome reports for Area Office and Development Academy Manager.
- Work with Area Ministry Executive Director to set budget goals and perform periodic budget reviews.
- Must be able to travel at least 4 times a year to Joni and Friends International Disability Center.
While the Development Officer reports directly to the Vice President of Development and the Manager of the Development Academy, he/she will be required to work closely with the Area Ministry Area Director.
As a ministry, Joni and Friends strives to exemplify Jesus Christ and bring Glory to God in all we say and do. To that end, employment at Joni and Friends is to be taken seriously as one who is not simply considering employment, but committing to the core mission of the organization to fulfill the biblical mandate of inclusion of those with disabilities into the full-life of the church.
Below outlines the vision, mission, values and pillars of Joni and Friends:
VISION: To accelerate Christian ministry in the disability community.
MISSION: To communicate the Gospel and equip Christ-churches worldwide to evangelize and disciple people affected by disabilities.
- Honor God in everything we do.
- Build relationships based on trust and respect.
- Maintain integrity and excellence in programs and services.
- Practice responsible stewardship.
As a Christ-centered ministry, all employees of Joni and Friends participate in its ministry wide prayer life, leadership training, and other general staff training that may take place from time to time.
FOUR PILLARS OF MINISTRY:
The Development Officer will fully embrace the Four Pillars of Joni and Friends:
- Lead Like Jesus*
- Excellence in area of expertise
- Best Christian Workplace
* Lead Like Jesus is a course of study provided to all employees and is based on the book written by Ken Blanchard and Phil Hodges of the same name. The Lead Like Jesus course is the model which governs our ministry culture and contributes significantly to Joni and Friends maintaining its certification as a Best Christian Workplace according to surveys by the Best Christian Workplace Institute (BCWI).