JAARS’ mission is to make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth. We do that by enabling locally appropriate and sustainable solutions in transportation, technology, media, and training. We partner closely with SIL International, the organizations of the Wycliffe Global Alliance, and with other organizations locally and globally. JAARS has a nearly 70 year history of innovation and excellence in supporting Bible translation around the world.
JAARS (www.jaars.org) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Christian ministry headquartered on a beautiful 500+ acre campus just south of Charlotte, NC. Our campus includes extensive training facilities, our own airport, office and commercial facilities, guest housing, food services, recreational areas, clinic, on-site childcare, and youth and family ministry support for staff and partners. We are pleased to have more than five hundred people serving on our campus with JAARS and several partner organizations.
The ministry is experiencing tremendous growth opportunities globally. We are seeking a career-oriented Vice President of Finance/CFO who is eager to continue to grow in a ministry environment and lead our finance strategy and team in this period of growth, and to carry forward from our current CFO who retired in early 2018.
With these new opportunities, our CFO and finance team will carry significant responsibilities. First, we are beginning a process of redesigning our financial architecture that will lead to new financial systems and processes in the coming years. Also JAARS is developing next-generation strategic initiatives that will require increased global operating capabilities, strategic partnerships, and new operating models. We are seeking a new CFO with a willingness to grow and lead and contribute significantly in these areas.
The Vice President of Finance/CFO reports to the JAARS President and serves as an active member of the senior leadership team. This individual provides trusted leadership to a team of finance professionals through effective financial planning and management capabilities, overseeing legal and compliance responsibilities in collaboration with corporate counsel, our auditors, and CFOs of key partners. This position is full-time based in Waxhaw, NC, and will be a salaried, exempt position.
- Embrace wholeheartedly JAARS’ vision, mission, core values, and statement of faith, and integrate these into this role
- Develop end-to-end knowledge of and lead the strategic financial oversight of JAARS and provide strategic financial guidance to the leadership, President, and the JAARS Board
- In a strong team atmosphere, oversee the development, planning, and direction of financial functions and staff, including all financial planning, budgeting, reporting, accounting, financial management, risk management, and financial regulatory compliance. Ensure these capabilities align with future strategic initiatives
- Research, develop and implement coordinated plans for redesigning JAARS’ financial architecture, with ministry process upgrades, technology support, and effective training for staff
- Coordinate the external audit and engage with the International Audit Committee in the audit process and collaborative improvement
- Develop and deploy processes and tools for forecasting the financial implications of future JAARS ministry opportunities in collaboration with other leaders
- Analyze and recommend strategies for JAARS to improve the financial performance of different ministry areas of JAARS, including business-as-mission commercial services, other paid ministry services, and donated ministry services
- Equip JAARS with the financial analyses and plans to implement initiatives related to new ministry models, including for-profit commercial kingdom ventures, joint ventures, or other strategic partnerships
- Develop and implement processes to ensure JAARS’ compliance with financial-related executive limitations from the Board
- Develop and implement enhanced financial and legal risk assessment and mitigation processes in support of the President and Board
- Build and strengthen trusted, collaborative relationships with key partners locally, nationally, and internationally
- Monitor external economic, tax, and regulatory trends and develop forward-looking solutions
- Travel nationally and internationally to represent JAARS, as required
Characteristics, Experience, and Education
- Active and growing relationship with Jesus Christ that includes personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- Resourceful in leveraging partnerships for leading transformational growth of an organization in financial areas, including processes, and technology
- Proven written and oral communication skills that build trust, collaboration, and growth
- Progressive experience in for-profit and/or nonprofit financial leadership, preferably with an international focus
- Learner’s attitude to model continual growth and development
- Strategic, analytical, results-oriented focus with minimum five years experience in management of finance teams and systems
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field required
- MBA or CPA preferred
Please submit resumes and inquiries to HR_Directorjaars.org