Awana is a global, nonprofit ministry committed to the belief that the greatest impact for Christ starts with kids who know, love and serve Him. The transformative power of the gospel is shared every week through Awana ministries that reach more than three and a half million kids in more than 115 countries. Providing resources and expertise, Awana empowers more than 45,000 churches and mobilizes more than 450,000 leaders to reach kids through evangelism and long-term discipleship.
We are seeking an International Accountant to join the International Finance Team. The International Accountant applies principles of accounting to analyze financial information, review budgets and funding requests, reconcile transactions, prepare journal entries, assess and maintain internal controls and perform other duties as assigned by the Manager of International Finance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Communicate with international field regarding annual budgets, funding requests, financial information and related questions.
- Coordinate field funding based on annual budgets, field requests and available fund balances for areas/regions of responsibility in accordance with Awana policy.
- Review expense reports, QuickBooks financial statements and budgets to verify proper financial management within each country.
- Participate in internal audits of international field offices. May require travel to field offices to conduct internal compliance and financial audits, along with on-site technical support and training.
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare journal entries on a monthly basis and at fiscal year end for monthly/year end closing purposes.
- Prepare journal entries accurately and timely and/or review recorded entries for accuracy. Review and adjust recurring entries as necessary.
- Analyze financial information for variances, completeness and accuracy, including review of monthly financial reports for significant variances.
- Generate financial reports or financial summaries as required.
- Answer questions of field, managers, directors and other employees regarding financial reports. Research and record any needed corrections on a timely basis.
- Perform other related duties as assigned to support the functions of International Finance.
Educatio n and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required. Minimum two years practical experience in and/or knowledge of accounting, auditing, and budgeting. Qualified to conduct audits and financial reviews. QuickBooks experience preferred. Cross-cultural sensitivity and experience preferred..
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports such as: expense accounts, bank statements, journal entries, balance sheets, income statements, and general ledger spread sheets. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from international field offices and other staff members. Good verbal and written communication skills required. Knowledge of Spanish or other foreign languages is a plus.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions and percentages.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Excellent analytical skills and the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to make decisions within the scope of authority.
Other Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of current accounting and auditing practices and regulations. Good communication, organization and time management skills. Must be detail oriented with strong time management skills and have the ability to meet deadlines. Must have excellent computer skills and knowledge of financial software systems, along with proficiency in Excel and Word. Knowledge of fund accounting, not-for-profit accounting, and/or church accounting is desirable.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Must be able and willing to travel internationally on occasion for internal field office audits, if applicable.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Internal: Reports to the Manager of International Finance. Frequent interactions with the International Finance Department staff members; periodic interaction with the Finance department and other Awana staff.
External: Ability to interact with all levels of international field staff, including directors, missionaries and coordinators.
This job description reflects the current assignment of essential functions, and is not meant to be all-inclusive. Duties and responsibilities may be assigned or reassigned to this job at any time, and may be modified to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability, or for other reasons.